AllChange – Installation
When I try to run it I get “No Project directory specified” error. What should I do?
AllChange needs a database and some basic configuration files for that database in order to start up. This is known as an AllChange project and you need to have defined one before you can start to use AllChange.
To create your first AllChange project:
Run the configuration tool AllChange Configuration Editor from Start | Programs | Intasoft AllChange
Enter the details for your first project in the Projects window that will open. This will create a default project definition with an empty database.
- You should now be able to run AllChange.
How do I set up AllChange to run Client/Server?
It is very simple to set up AllChange to run client-server – simply follow the steps below referring to the AllChange Administrators Manual – Setting up your environment | Modes of Operation | Client/Server | Setting up Client/Server – Summary.
- If you have not yet done so perform a Full install from the CD onto the server
- Define your project to have the appropriate server information using Acconfig
- If you wish to run VC Client/Server then select the option in the Configuration Options using Acconfig
- On the server, perform a Server Only install using the setup\setup.exe from where the Full install took place
- Set up the ACINETD on the server
- Set the permissions as needed on the project, system and VCFiles directories
What’s the best way to move an AllChange installation from one machine to another?
The best way to move an AllChange Installation:
- Install AllChange on the new server (Full & Server installations).
- Copy your AllChange project directories (with VC files) to the new server. At this stage it would be a good idea to stop access to AllChange.
- Copy projects.ac into the new AllChange system directory and then edit the information in the file to point to the new project directories.
- For AllChange 9.0 and later, if you are also moving the SQL Server to be used by AllChange then you will need to backup the database for each project on the old server (use Acconfig | Plan | Update Projects, Database tab), copy the backup files to the new server and restore them. Before restoring them you will need to amend the information on the Database tab for each project selecting to Do not access/update database, using Acconfig.
- You might want to keep a couple of files from your old system directory, such as users.ac, ftpuser.ac and muen.ac. Copy these into the new system directory, to avoid setting up users and license information again.
- You will need to do a workstation install on all of your client machines from the setup directory of the new AllChange system directory.
- Users will now run AllChange from the new location and will be using the new project directories. Access to the old project directories should not be allowed once the new project directories are in place.
Of course, if you’re upgrading your version of AllChange you will need to upgrade your projects using the upgrade tool before doing this.
How can I have two or more different versions of AllChange installed simultaneously?
It may sometimes be desirable to have more than one version of AllChange installed at one time. This would allow a new version to be used while the previous version is still used, or to allow sites to take advantage of our Beta testing programme. The steps below assume you already have one version of AllChange installed. The ‘new’ version referred to may be earlier or later than the currently installed version:
- Install the new AllChange (Full Install) on the computer on which it is to be used (for a local, non-client/server operation), or on the server (for a client/server installation).
- If you are to be running the new version client/server, then run the setup and select the Server Only install. In order to avoid a conflict with any existing client/server installation, enter an alternative name for the service Also, specify an alternative port number. (See the “Running multiple instances of ACInetd” section of the “ACInetd” topic in the product documentation for detailed information.) Any client/server projects defined in the new version should specify the port number used.
- You will need to do a workstation install, from the setup directory of the new AllChange system directory, on any workstation from which you wish to access the new version. You should specify a different Program group so as not to overwrite existing shortcut icons.